To: Lincoln

8:44 PM

in argentina, it's normal for kids to live with their parents until they get married.
(even if that means you're 34 and you haven't found the one).
you'd be considered crazy to move out and be on your own
("unhappy and alone" as my dad likes to think).
everyone lives in the capital, which is a lot like new york.
 there's no such thing as going off to college, since they're all close to home.
you take the metro to the university, to work, to wherever
and you come home to your parents.
every day.
when you do end up hitching,
you move 5 minutes down the block.
i love my family.
they are God's hugest gift to me.
my dad is a genius.
my mom is a rock of affection and kindness (and sarcasm).
my sister is my best friend.
and i dare you to find a cuter grandma.
(i know this word will make me an ineffective communicator:)
but.
there's something about being away from home that has made the difference
between who i could've become next to my parents
and who i am because they weren't around.
the me, next to my gorgeous sister,
and me, a separate piece.
when i graduate, i'm still going to be far
regardless of my marital status.
i'm not alone, or unhappy.
(being single isn't a curse, dad. it's a blessing.)
the feeling i get when i finally make it home only happens because i've been far for too long.
the missing piece where my family fits is finally replaced.
but at the end of every summer, i'm ready to be away.
i'm ready to miss the ones i love the most.
and the truth is, it's nice to be missed, too.
some relationships are best when there's a little distance involved.
it's how we learn to rely on phone calls and texts (and skype).
there are 1,286 miles between my dorm room and my bedroom.
and as much as the drive will suck tomorrow, i'm ok being split in half--
the me that lives in lincoln, "alone", growing up, and being responsible,
and the baby of the family in the south that doesn't understand taxes.
i could've been closer.
i could've been with my sister.
i could've stayed.
(but: nebraska called.)
this is just something i had to do.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Subscribe