Mush.

11:36 PM

i didn't spend my Valentine's day preparing for a night out on the town,
or even preparing a fancy meal at home.
i didn't buy a new outfit.
i didn't get new shoes.
heck.... i didn't even wash my hair.
(except for a quick trip to mall)
my first participating Valentine's Day was mostly spent in sweats,
preparing chicken soup and sleepy time tea
for my very sick boyfriend.
It turns out, Valentine's Day has nothing to do with what you do
and everything to do with who you have to celebrate it with.
In my case, I got to spend my day with a
kind,
funny,
gracious man,
who reminds me I'm his Valentine
every
day
and even through
headaches
and fevers
and nyquil-induced comas
made sure I knew how much I am loved.

If he had any idea the kind of Valentine's Days
I've tortured myself with
to arrive at this very moment in my life,
where none of the flowers and candy and dinners mattered
and I can truly experience a love worth celebrating,
I hope he'd understand that they were all worth it--
That I wouldn't change a thing about the past
because it meant getting here,
today,
to him.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Subscribe