Fine.

3:14 PM

2 weeks post graduation:

I wish I had conquered the world by now but sadly,
I've conquered much smaller scales:
the center seat of the couch
the hundreds of new channels on our satellite network
the placement of lightswitches in a new house

and where the handle-less cabinets open
the pulling into the correct driveway
the ability to plan every weekend for the next 2 months
the road to Target.

But despite the practice
many things remain unchecked:
how to answer the "what's next?"
how to be really alone a lot
how to love an island and hate everything about it
how to be home after not for so long
how to use my gas most efficiently
how to incorporate my iPhone into every aspect of my life
how to find my place among newly grad-ed
so as not to blend into the sea of indecision and futurelessness.

everyone seems to believe i'll "be fine"
but fine doesn't live here yet.
fine is a distant neighbor i've yet to borrow sugar from.
fine is in the neighborhood over, gated by
peace
complacency
acceptance.
(i can't even afford to drive up).

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe