#fatshamingweek

9:38 AM

My morning started with the usual once-over
of my typically average Facebook feed.
and then i came across a post titled:

"Im sorry but if your fat its your fault and you should be shamed for it. This is the problem with America everyone is becoming a big FAT baby about every single thing. Sorry not sorry!"

I'm not friends with this person.
I don't know who he is.
I don't know what has made him so angry.
But as I read through the +50 comments about
healthy body fat percentages, 
"reasons" why people are fat,
and the overall consensus that
being overweight always and indefinitely means
laziness,
food addiction/dependency,
and a detriment to society.

As much as we'd like to think we have trained our eyes and judgement,
Healthy. Isn't. Uniform.

Reading back through those comments
(and what seems to me to be an insincere concern
for the obese's health,
stemming from the repeated notion that
you are 100% responsible for your fatness)
those paragraphs full of facts and information
lack personal experience:
You can't tell me how easy it is to be skinny
if you don't know what it means to
struggle.
You can't blame being fat on being lazy
when you have no idea
how hard I work.
You can't lecture me about
"altering your metabolism"
until you know what it's like
to not have one.

I am not here to defend any body type in particular.
I am not here for pity,
or glory
or even an apology.
When my morning is ruined by hateful comments
towards a group of people
I consider myself a part of--
a group of people that
(in cases like mine)
don't always willingly relate with each other,
someone has to speak up. 
There is no excuse for shaming.

"It is no one's job to defend themselves as being
worthy of existence."

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe